- Start studying early and plan a reasonable schedule to advance your knowledge and performance in all the test areas.
- Locate the test center ahead of test day and arrive at least 15 minutes before the designated test time.
- Assemble all test materials in advance. For a complete test day checklist, please see: https://collegereadiness.
- Pace yourself! Bring a non-beeping analog watch and be aware of how much time is left in each test section.
- Know the test directions and understand the process. Read questions thoroughly, then carefully select your answers.
- When you come to a tough question, skip it and return to it later. This will ensure that you get to all questions that you can easily answer before you run out of time.
- Have a strategy for guessing on multiple choice questions that you don’t know the answer to, since there are no deductions for wrong answers on the new SAT test. Eliminate answers based on your knowledge, and then make your best guess.
- Eat healthy, exercise, and get adequate sleep for peak performance – not just the day before the test, but well in advance! On test day, have a healthy breakfast.
- Take many practice tests, applying these strategies. Through practice, you will become more familiar with the SAT format and the principles that it tests.
- Maintain a positive mental attitude and visualize yourself successfully completing the test. It eases anxiety and improves your performance.